Saturday, June 12, 2010


Road to Providence
 
I have discovered God’s Providence!  Such discoveries from God are always marvelous.    The road that would take me there, however, looked more like an obstacle course than any noble path God would surely take me on!     The ultimate destination was there all along  but in my hum drum daily life I was totally unaware that God & I were about to journey...once again.    In Christian lingo we call that...timing.   We say timing is everything....   Let me translate what that really means.    God does not need time, I do...


I have found myself lately somewhat unmotivated toward prayer and study. Please do not misunderstand me, my love of God and talking with Him endlessly probably exhausts Him.  (Anyone who knows me will not find that hard to believe.  :)     What I longed for however, was a more mature dedication and devotion to God and His word. I could pretend piety to some folks and get away with it, but not to God.   I groaned inwardly just thinking about the work this new found desire was going to require and at my lack of fortitude. Quick prayers went up that I might discover living under a nearby rock or behind a tree was an ample dose of fortitude that would inspire my passion like a tonic.  (never hurts to ask)   



When my hunt proved fruitless and to escape my stress, I gave in to a crazy desire to read mindless fiction. I told myself it was because I was concerned about my most recent inability to focus on pretty much anything and hoped reading would help.  Help was indeed at hand because I found that mindless fiction was like a match to dry kindling and sparked a well lit fire inside me. THAT was disturbing. I chafed myself for not having that same kind of kindling for God’s Word and Christian literature.


I devoured the large mindless piece of fiction in three days however, which is somewhat longer than I am capable.  :)   I was both elated that I had not lost my touch and dismayed that I might be losing my grip on Christian dignity.  Dignity lost out and I pushed on.  I curiously found myself talking to the characters in the book about God.   Trying to urge them toward what seemed like their natural inclination toward goodness versus evil. I began analyzing their actions the same as I would symbolic associations in the dark speech of dreams. To make it all more interesting I began searching scripture for answers to questions posed by the thoughts that were provoked by this insignificant piece of fiction!


Just like Rhema could be regarded as the voice of the Holy Spirit as He speaks to the believer at the present moment, I felt guided through these inner feelings, impressions, dreams, visions, and signs. I lined them up with Scripture to make sure it did not contradict God's written Word. I found what I consider an interpretation, or perhaps better labeled, God’s Providence; His extraordinary intervention in the life of this humble servant.

My interpretation
 
I began to notice a theme or formula, that had all the characteristics of signposts directing my journey.  In the world of mindless fiction one of those signposts looked like a chance motorcycle for sale with a higher purpose, just waiting for the heroine. In Holy Scripture I saw similarities in the repeated stories of God proving to the Children of Israel that they were to follow Moses and Aaron for His provided salvation in the Promise Land.   In a discussion with my son regarding the history of the council of Nicaea, it began to dawn on me that I could relate those other two signposts to the action required in the historical meeting at Nicaea, to prove and settle the debate of the Christian community regarding the deity of Christ.   Each scenario seemed to say the same thing,   I  AM.     I began to see God’s divine guidance through my reading and discussion was not chance. Every word was designed to give me the equation of His presence in my life.


In the Jewish Tanakh the word ruach refers to breath or wind. In a living being it is breath; from God our creator, it is wind. Job 27:3 says "The ruach of God (from God) is in my nostrils." When ruach is applied to God it indicates creative activity and power. In scripture it also refers to ruach as redemption and upholding and guiding His chosen ones...and the empowering of the Messiah.
May the ruach of God reign supreme in me today and everyday.

No comments: